Sunday, January 9, 2011

Warming Veggie Soup























This is not a dainty soup by any means. It's a "throw it in the pot and get it cookin'" kind of soup. It's the kind of soup you make in a log burning house and that keeps you warm from head to toe. I don't do any kind of delicate chopping and have been known to throw whole carrots and celery stalks right into the pot for this one. It's soup for a daredevil chef! I chose carrots, potatoes, parsnips, onions, celery and parsley. I roughly chopped large chunks of all, and put into a nice tall stainless steel stock pot filled with salted water. I also added one veggie boullion cube to amp up the flavor, but the veggies themselves will provide enough flavor that you may not even need it if you don't have. After that I just let it simmer away until the potato and carrot softened. I added some black pepper and pre-cooked egg noodles (do you know they also make eggless egg noodles for all you vegans out there?) and a dash of apple cider vinegar. This abundant soup kept giving for days and on the last night I added some leftover soy chicken breast pieces to make it even heartier!
I would kill for this soup if out camping in the cold or after a day of skiing or sledding. It would also be great if you have the sniffles, but if you eat this soup often you probably won't ever GET the sniffles.......
Now go get soupin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment