Monday, March 8, 2010

Eating Animals

So, I'm reading "Eating Animals" by Jonathan Safran Foer. Stuff I mostly knew about dreaded factory farming...but for some reason I keep reading and getting angrier and angrier and sadder (is that a word? or should I have said "more sad"?). Anyway, he decided to really learn about where our "food" comes from upon the birth of his son, where now he would be responsible for feeding another human being and probably answering some tough questions as to how animals become "food." It makes me think about how as a vegetarian family we will now raise our son as vegetarian and probably get some not so nice or understanding comments on the matter. I want our son who is only one year old to eventually KNOW what he is eating and with that there is an obligation as a parent to tell the truth. Of course when he is older he can begin to make his own decisions-and as a vegetarian I can only hope he chooses with his heart. I want to make the right choices and yet it is so hard sometimes. I am learning there is no such thing as "free range" or "non-caged" egg laying hens at factory farms. There is a lot of lying or misuse of terms which can lead us to believe that nothing has suffered to supply us with the food at hand. My latest idea since we can't have our own chickens for eggs is to find a local person who may like to sell us some eggs from their family chickens. If not, we may just cut them out completely and go with alternatives we have learned to love: tofu scramble. I feel like a hypocrite because I haven't eaten meat (fish, chicken , beef, lamb, pork, ) since 1996 but have still eaten eggs and cheese.We really try to buy from local farms (what's left of them) but not always. I know there is still suffering that happens in the production of these things and that just saddens me.
I am rambling and originally intended this blog to be a venue for vegetarian restaurant reviews.....but for today
this is what's on my mind!

1 comment:

  1. If you find any good sources for local eggs, please share!

    ReplyDelete