Thursday, March 11, 2010

An old favorite saves the day...

So I am fighting a cold and the last thing I want to do is cook dinner. The only effort I can make is to suggest
we order take out. My husband ALWAYS likes that idea! So we go with Shan Chuan, a neighborhood favorite
on Ridge Avenue in East Falls. They offer a Chinese AND Japanese menu AND have a full selection of vegetarian options including "mock" dishes. I go with a quart of their Tofu and Vegetable soup which puts me in a warm and fuzzy state upon slurping my first spoonful. It's a lovely vegetarian clear broth with carrots (the fancy cut kind), snap peas, bamboo shoots, baby corns, watercress, mushrooms and cabbage. Is your mouth watering yet? Mine is. Good thing I have some left over for lunch! Mike (my husband) goes with his favorite- Mock Sweet and Sour Chicken. Just like the real thing only with soy gluten, served with rice and green peppers and pineapples and sauce. He devours it in seconds. My one year old shares my soup and loves it!
We have also tried Shan Chuan's vegetable spring rolls-very good! And their Vegetable Lo Mein, Golden Tofu, Mock Orange Chicken, Mock General Tso's Chicken and Broccoli with Garlic Sauce. From their Japanese menu I have tried their Ginger Salad-but probably would not order again. Their Green Rolls were good as well as their Edamame, Fried Tofu and Veggie Tempura. Let's not forget the Green Tea Icecream! This place rocks for take out when you're fighting a cold or just too darn lazy to cook! We only ate in at the restaurant once and it was lovely-great service, very friendly, even after our son spilled cheerios everywhere!
Check it out sometime!
My fortune cookie said: " For everything there is a season."

No comments:

Post a Comment