Thursday, April 29, 2010

Black Bean Cakes with Mango and Avocado Salsa




















I have been craving these since last summer! It's a great warm weather dish with the mango and all. I used one can of black beans but should have used two. One can only yielded five cakes and we wanted more! I also
sliced the tip of my thumb open on the jagged lid of the can after cutting it open! Ouch! I think I needed stitches, oh well. Be careful! Anyway, I rinsed and drained the beans after keeping myself from fainting and applying a couple of band aids. I then coursely mashed the beans with a big fork until they started to stick together. I added chopped onion, cilantro, a teaspoon of cumin, a little soy milk and salt and pepper. I formed them into balls then into half inch patties and covered with breadcrumbs.
For the salsa I cut up avocado, onion, more cilantro and mango. (Actually, Mike cut up the mango because I was being a big baby at this point because my finger hurt and I couldn't hold the knife and cut the mango) Thanks Mike! Some lemon juice was added as well. I cooked the cakes in a frying pan with some olive oil until browned on both sides. For a final touch chopped cilantro was sprinkled over top of the cakes and salsa! They were well worth getting my finger sliced! Yes, they're THAT good!

No comments:

Post a Comment